Thursday, April 14, 2011

Where I Explain Why I’m Blogging.


I used to use LiveJournal. Remember that? I barely do. Next came MySpace, now Facebook. I have lots of photo albums and posts on Facebook detailing my thrifting exploits, but there isn’t room for a lot of detail. Even then, I still feel like I’m spamming a bunch of people who couldn’t care much less about some 1960’s drink set I bought. I thought starting a blog might mean I could spare my high school friends and possibly find some people who ARE interested in the pink lace 1950’s suit I found.

But, as I said before, it’s not just about old shit. Even if I didn’t put together some crazy ensembles, I’d still shop at thrift stores. I thought it would be nice to encourage others to do the same, specifically in my home base of Columbus, Ohio. I wanted to provide a useful resource for people who wanted to thrift: locations, hours, what their sales were like and other reviews. Will this mean that I find less great stuff? Will Americans ever fall out of love with consumerism? It is entirely possible that I will find less great old shit at thrift stores, and I am completely fine with that. I would be ECSTATIC if I could encourage someone to buy second hand when they normally buy new consumer goods. I don’t care if it drives up the cost of vintage either. Back to my original point about no one getting screwed over when I purchase something? That goes for dealers as well. The great old shit is still going to someone who will love and appreciate it; it’s just going to someone who does not have the time or obsessive nature I have. At the end of the day, as long as someone is making the choice to buy secondhand over buying a new consumer good, I am happy.

So I’d like to be a good example. Show people what sort of great stuff there is to be had in thrift stores. Though my outfits tend to be a bit more eccentric than the gen pop, I hope to be an inspiration. And probably entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment